What is holding you back?
We are already in second month of 2023, and I am curious about something. What is holding you back in this new year?
Last week I ran two group workshops for a major social media company. I asked a simple question: What is getting in the way of your success in Q1? What struck me was how quickly the participants shared the roadblocks that are holding them back. For sales people in particular, road blocks can dramatically impact their earning potential. But for each of us, road blocks negatively impact our achievements, our success and our self view.
At the workshop, the team specifically mentioned challenges with time management, impatience, complacency and a lack of commitment to do the work. Some were simply tired.
To move forward and break through a road block, being fired up about the work helps many of us. For others, self-care is critical. For others, owning the fact that work is a means to an end keeps them on track. How do you handle career road blocks?
“If you’re trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I’ve had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.“
Worth the Share
This author of Six Tips for Overcoming Roadblocks in Your Career highlighted these areas:
- Toss fear in the backseat: Focus on the future, projecting the positive outcomes when you overcome fear. Why does it matter for you to get past the fear?
- View the obstacles as an opportunity: Reframe the obstacle as something new to explore. Get curious. What can you learn from this challenge?
- Don’t take shortcuts: Think slow. Take the time to look at all the all the aspects of the situation. What are you missing?
- Explore all possible routes: When coaching clients, I often ask them to really think through various scenarios. What else could you do in that situation?
- Ask others for directions: Asking for help is very difficult for many of us. Who can you turn to for support or guidance?
- Keep your eyes on the finish line: Keep the big picture in mind. Dream. Where do you want to be in 5 years? How will this help you get there, or not?
From a job search perspective, why not use AI to break through your roadblocks? In this article from Forbes, it talks about using ChatGPT to write a cover-letter. If you or someone you know is searching for a job, send them this newsletter or forward them this Forbes article: Should you use ChatGPT to apply for jobs? Here’s what recruiters say.
As you’ve probably heard, AI is huge right now, and it will only get more prevalent in the near future. Check out Chat.GPT. And if you want to talk to a human, reach out anytime.